Manchester Hilton open again after 48 hours without power

Hotel News - 03/10/2011

Previous Article | News Index | Next Article

During the 48-hour event the Beetham Tower hotel had to send hundreds of guests to nearby hotel properties as engineers struggled to restore electricity after it had gone out completely on Friday.

The grand re-opening of sorts on Sunday afternoon came just in time for a four-day Tory party conference, which is one of the city’s largest events of the year for local hospitality firms and brings some 10,000 delegates to Manchester.

Numerous guests expressed disappointment to reporters during the ordeal. Forty year-old offshore worker Mike Westwood from Barrow-in-Furness said the event had foiled his plan to propose to his girlfriend during a romantic weekend in the executive Jacuzzi king suite.

Meanwhile, 35 year-old Simon Pritchard, who was in town to attend his sister’s wedding said that he was late for the event after the family had arrived and been told they were being moved to the MacDonald Hotel and were forced to wait several hours to check into the 10 rooms they had reserved at the Hilton.

According to Electricity North West, which regulates power in the region, the problem took place because of a fault inside the Hilton building. A spokesman for the hotel firm said that an investigation had been launched but gave no indication regarding the cause of the shortage.

Previous Article | News Index | Next Article

 
 

© Airport Hotels 2011

Gemini House, Swindon, UK

Telephone: 0871 360 2284